Friday, June 5, 2009

Memory and place, scent and music

I spent last weekend in another place significant to memory and self. The Sunshine Coast certainly triggers many holiday memories and memories of my grandmother and happy times with her. But it isn't just place that triggers memories... The tropically scented garden of the house I was staying in reminded me of a friend long gone. I had walked with her among heavily fragrant flowers not long before she died. Her thin face and slow words returned as soon as the aroma hit me on Sunday.
Music is also a potent memory trigger. The Carpenters were featured on the radio this morning. Before I had even recognised the music I was wallowing in an infatuation of my youth, sighing along with We've only just begun. Many of the hits from that time recall my emotional state when they became significant to me.

No comments: