Sunday, April 19, 2009

Jazz in the afternoon

Just back from the third in the ABC Classic FM concerts at Lewellyn Hall. This time it was the Mike Price Trio, a jazz group from the School of Music. The drummer was a feat of coordination: the left leg steadily beating the cymbals, the right an irregular bass drum, the left arm caressing the tympany while the right stretched to all the cymbals and back to the tympany in a cycle of fluid movements. The bass player nestled the bass against him and slid and plucked up and down the strings, his eyes closed completely lost in the music. Mike Price was the guitarist and composer of a lot of the pieces. His busy fingers seemed independent of him as he leaned back on the sound.
Much to the disdain of my neighbour I bopped and swayed in my seat. It sounds trite to say the music plucked at my heart strings but I guess it's almost the physiological and physical truth: my innards vibrating in sympathy with the bass, drums and guitar.
I was mesmerised by the musicians and their music right to the end.

No comments: